Benefits of corrugated plastic totes
Many manufacturing, warehousing and logistics companies are making the transition from corrugated paper boxes and containers to reusable corrugated plastic bins and packaging for storage and handling. Companies are realizing that the corrugated plastic alternative is more durable, long lasting, and more cost effective — among many other advantages.
They are also finding that corrugated plastic containers have more to offer than molded plastic containers. The plastic containers made by Flexcon can help business take advantage of their factory space and decrease errors and damage to materials and products during storage, material handling and shipping.
Corrugated plastic totes and molded plastic totes and bins share a few of the same advantages over corrugated paper containers, such as:
- They are reusable and have a longer life span, delivering long-term savings. They commonly last for 20 to 100 uses, as opposed to the one-and-done service of a corrugated paper box.
- They minimize waste, save landfill space and cut the cost of disposal compared to corrugated paper containers, which must be disposed of or recycled on a much more frequent basis.
- They are waterproof and resist most chemicals. This contributes to longer life and provides superior protection of the materials and products they hold. Corrugated plastic and molded plastic containers stack well and hold up in environments where corrugated paper, or cardboard, boxes fail.
For corrugated plastic, there are more advantages.
However, corrugated plastic offers users far more payoffs than molded plastic. For instance, corrugated plastic:
- Resists tears and punctures, in contrast to molded plastic, which cracks on strong impact.
- Weighs less than molded plastic, making corrugated plastic totes and bins easier for workers to move, while reducing shipping costs.
- Decreases time required to develop customized container designs for specialized uses and products. Molded plastic requires more development time due to design and production of molds.
- Requires less production time than molded plastic. Production of molded plastic containers can take as much as five times longer.
- Streamlines conversion from corrugated paper to plastic containers, compared to making the shift from corrugated paper to molded plastic containers. Corrugated plastic easily takes the place of corrugated paper, eliminating the need to change material handling processes. It’s easy to score, crease, fold, drill and stitch — and fits right in where corrugated paper containers had been used.
- Results in less work interruption and downtime than molded plastic or corrugated paper containers. Corrugated paper containers are vulnerable to breakage, and molded plastic isn’t as resilient to impact as corrugated plastic.
- Comes in a greater variety of in-stock colors than molded plastic — and certainly more than corrugated paper boxes.
Plus, Flexcon offers corrugated plastic containers in more than 6,000 sizes. Call Flexcon today at 908-871-7000, and talk with one of our container experts, who will help you choose the best solutions for your material handling and storage needs.
Top 5 Uses for Corrugated Plastic Containers in Material Handling
Corrugated plastic totes, bins and containers have a nearly unlimited range of material handling uses. For example, organizing parts in assembly operations, organizing and distributing mail within your facilities, warehousing parts and products, or transporting parts and products within a facility or to your other facilities or customers.
Following is a list of the five leading ways for using corrugated plastic mail totes and containers—and the advantages they offer to the businesses that depend on them daily:
1. Postal totes
The U.S. Postal Service uses 15 million postal totes to collect, organize and transport letters and parcels. The reasons that the U.S. Postal Service chooses corrugated plastic containers are the same reasons they would benefit your business:
- They’re lightweight and made with cut-out handles, so they’re easy to carry
- They’re also very sturdy. They stand up to constant, high volume use and the bumps and scrapes that go with it.
- They’re made even stronger, to handle heavy loads, with steel rod reinforcements
- They can be used hundreds of times, resulting in a low cost per use, compared to the one-time use of corrugated cardboard containers
- They’re 100% recyclable, so they make responsible use of resources and keep waste out of landfills
2. Shelving and carousel bins
Postal totes and flat tubs work in a wide range of shelving and carousel configurations, because they’re available in thousands of sizes. In fact, they can be custom designed and made in any size—and in 10 colors—to perfectly fit any need you have.
When used in carousels or other storage systems, mail bins, totes and containers maximize available cube. This maximizes the amount of product you can handle and store. And it minimizes wasted space.
Space age bins and containers made by Flexcon are used in more than 8,000 carousel systems with capacities up to 130 lbs. and more
3. Automated storage and retrieval systems
Corrugated plastic postal mail totes work well in automated storage and retrieval applications because they meet virtually any deflection criteria. In addition, they are dividable with drop-in partitions. This expands their versatility, to adapt to changing needs.
The bottoms of space age totes feature pitched drain holes. In the event a sprinkler system is set off, these holes allow water to drain out, preventing collapse of your automated system.
4. Cases and shipping containers
The strength and durability of corrugated plastic mail totes make them the perfect solution for shipping. They hold contents perfectly in place, protecting them to their destination. And they’re reusable hundreds of times.
5. Dividers and dunnage
Corrugated plastic containers, tubs and totes and available dividers and dunnage provide excellent protection of product in manufacturing, storage and shipping applications. Flexcon containers are fully dividable to meet current and future storage needs. While protecting product and parts, these dividers prevent migration, keeping everything where it needs to be.
To learn more about the innumerable uses for corrugated plastic mail totes, contact a Flexcon sales representative today.